At VMware we encourage a healthy work environment. When you aren’t feeling well, Sick Time provides you with paid time off to stay home. You may use Sick Time for:
- Medical and dental appointments
- Preventive care
- Care of a health condition (treatment, diagnosis, etc.)
- Obtaining legal or social services if you are the victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking
- Any other reason required in accordance with a local ordinance 
Regular full-time employees may use up to 10 days of Sick Time per year. Unused Sick Time does not roll over from year to year, (except where required by local ordinance ) and it is not cashed out when leaving VMware.
Using Sick Time
Out of your 10 total Sick Time days per year, 5 of those days can be used for a family member’s medical or dental appointments, preventive care or care of a health condition. Family members include:
- Qualified Domestic Partner
- Any other covered family members under applicable local law
Scheduling Sick Time
- Notify your manager. All Sick Time absences, planned or unplanned, must be discussed with your manager. If an absence is unexpected, you should notify your manager as soon as reasonably possible.
- Record your time in Workday. After your manager has been notified, record your Sick Time in Workday  [VMware network access required]. Exempt (salaried) employees should record their sick time only if they are absent for 4 hours or more in a day. Non-exempt (hourly) employees can use sick time in a minimum of 15 minute increments.
|Consecutive Days Absent||Type of Leave||Detail|
|1 – 3 days||Sick time||Contact your manager as soon as possible to inform him/her you will be out of the office.|
|3 – 5 days||Sick time||If you take more than 3 consecutive business days of sick time, the Employee Relations Leave of Absence team, may ask you to provide a note from your doctor. Email the doctor’s note to the Employee Relations Leave of Absence team .|
|5+ days||File for a Leave of Absence ||Subject to applicable law, Sick Time may generally be taken for no more than 5 consecutive business days. If you need to be absent for more than 5 consecutive business days, you must file for a Medical Leave  and/or Family Leave . Contact Sedgwick at 1-866-251-1749 to apply for a leave of absence. If you exhaust your Sick Time, you cannot use Vacation Time. Additional unpaid time off is available only with manager approval.|
|Intermittent Illnesses||File for a Leave of Absence ||Employees who need to use Sick Time for chronic, ongoing illnesses should contact Sedgwick at 1-866-251-1749 to apply for an intermittent leave protection.|
Returning to Work
Subject to applicable law, you may be asked to provide a note from your doctor that verifies the days of absence due to the illness and that you are cleared to resume work. Email your doctor’s note to the Employee Relations Leave of Absence team .
Please note: This information is an overview of Sick Time. Refer to the Sick Time policy  [VMware network access required] for detailed information.