If you need an extended period of time off and no other leave of absence is applicable, you may request to take an unpaid Personal Leave of Absence (non-statutory leave). Personal Leave is available if you:
- Need to be away from work for more than five (5) business days
- Will not be away from work for more than ninety (90) calendar days
- Have not accrued enough or have exhausted all your vacation
You are eligible for Personal Leave if you:
- Are a regular full-time employee in good standing
- Have been employed with VMware for at least one year
- If you have worked less than one year additional approval will be required
Duration and Job Protection
Job protection is not guaranteed while you are on a Personal Leave. When you are ready to return to work and if your original position is still available, VMware will make an effort to reinstate you. If your original position is no longer available, VMware will consider you for any available openings for which you are qualified. If you are not selected for an alternative position, VMware will terminate your employment.
A Personal Leave is an unpaid leave of absence.
Requesting Personal Leave
There are different levels of approval required, depending on the length of your Personal Leave request:
- For a Personal Leave up to thirty (30) calendar days: 1st and 2nd level manager
- For a Personal Leave between thirty-one (31) and ninety (90) calendar days: 1st and 2nd level manager, department VP and HR
Your manager must provide all levels of approval to the Employee Relations Leave of Absence team for review prior to commencement of your leave. The ER-LOA team will submit approval/denial to Sedgwick. Personal Leaves must be approved in writing by Sedgwick prior to your first day of absence.
Before Your Leave Starts
- Gather necessary approvals as stated above.
- If your Personal Leave is approved, contact Sedgwick at 1-866-251-1749 to initiate a leave of absence.
- Have the following information ready before contacting Sedgwick:
– Last day at work
– Start date of your leave of absence
– Actual or anticipated return to work date
After You Initiate Your Leave of Absence
- Fill out the paperwork provided by Sedgwick and send the completed paperwork back to them.
- Your manager, HR and Payroll teams will be notified of your request for a leave of absence.
- Once Sedgwick receives your forms, they will determine your eligibility based on applicable federal/state leave laws as well as VMware’s leave of absence policies.
To Extend Your Leave
Contact Sedgwick and your manager at least two (2) weeks before your planned return to work date.
Several benefits continue while you are away on Personal Leave:
Coverage During Personal Leave
|Benefit||Coverage During Personal Leave|
|Health Insurance Benefits||Medical , Dental , Vision and the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) will continue during your leave for up to 30 days. You are responsible for paying your cost sharing health plan deductions when you return to active status. If you remain on leave after 30 days, you will be provided with continuation of healthcare election rights under COBRA. You are responsible to maintain your benefit elections during Annual Enrollment or if you experience a qualified life event, while on leave.|
|Flexible Spending Account||Deductions will be suspended during any unpaid portion of your leave. You are responsible to maintain your benefit elections during Annual Enrollment or if you experience a qualified life event, while on leave. Plan rules apply.|
|401(k) Savings Plan||Contributions will be suspended during any unpaid portion of your leave. Plan rules apply.|
|Basic Life and AD&D||Coverage will continue through the end of the month that immediately follows the month your Personal Leave started and will be reinstated when you return to work. Plan rules apply.|
Returning to Work
To return to work from a Personal Leave, you must complete the following steps:
- Contact Sedgwick at 1-866-251-1749 to confirm your return to work a few days before your first day back.
- Tell your manager in advance of your return.
- If you do not return to work at the end of your approved Personal Leave period, VMware will assume you have voluntarily resigned your employment.
Please Note: VMware complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws. This outward facing document is a brief summary only and does not provide all information regarding applicable job protection, benefits, wage replacement, and other provisions. For additional detail see the applicable Personal Leave of Absence policy[VMware network access required] for detailed information.