Family Leave provides time off when you need to be absent from work for an extended period of time to care for a family member. You may use Family Leave for the following:
- To bond with your newborn or newly adopted or placed foster child (can be used only within 12 months after birth, adoption or placement)
- To care for your spouse, domestic partner, child or parent with a serious health condition
- For Service Member Family Leave or Military Exigency Leave
In order to be eligible for Family Leave you must have:
- Worked at least 12 months (not necessarily consecutive) with VMware
- Worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12-month period immediately before the leave is needed
If you and your spouse both work for VMware, you are limited to a combined maximum of 12 weeks of Family Leave (or a combined maximum of 26 weeks in the case of Service Member Family Leave). If you are in a VMware work location that employs fewer than 50 people within 75 miles, you are not entitled to Family Leave, but VMware may still choose to grant Family Leave at its discretion.
Duration and Job Protection
Your job is protected while you are on Family Leave. You may take up to 12 weeks of unpaid time off in a 12-month period (or up to 26 weeks in the case of Service Member Family Leave). You can take Family Leave all at once, intermittently or on a reduced leave schedule. When you return to work, you will be reinstated to the same or equivalent job with the same pay, benefits and terms and conditions of employment. If your Family Leave runs concurrently with FMLA/CFRA/California’s PDL, or other applicable leave law, you will be reinstated to the same or equivalent job in accordance with those laws. However, neither those laws nor Family Leave entitles you to any greater right to employment or job protection than if you had not taken the leave (for example, with respect to reductions in force).
Family Leave is unpaid but, depending on the nature of the Family Leave, you may be eligible for partial wage replacement through VMware’s Disability Plans or California Paid Family Leave (if you live in California), or San Francisco’s Paid Parental Leave Ordinance (if you work in San Francisco).
Under Non Accrued Vacation (NAV) exempt (salaried) employees can use up to 10 “allocated” business days within the calendar year to receive pay for Family Leave.
Requesting Family Leave
If you plan on being away from work for more than 5 days to care for a family member, you must request a Family Leave of Absence by doing the following:
Before Your Leave Starts
- Notify your manager at least 30 days in advance, if possible.
- Contact Sedgwick at 1-866-251-1749 to initiate a leave of absence.
- Have the following information ready before contacting Sedgwick:
– Last day at work
– Start date of your leave of absence
– Actual or anticipated return to work date
– Physician’s contact information
After You Initiate Your Leave of Absence
- Fill out the paperwork provided by Sedgwick and send the completed paperwork back to them.
- Once Sedgwick receives your forms, they will determine your eligibility based on applicable federal/state leave laws as well as VMware’s leave of absence policies.
- Sedgwick will let you know if you are eligible for any other federal or state leaves of absence.
- Your manager, HR and Payroll teams will be notified of your request for a leave of absence.
To Extend Your Leave
- Contact Sedgwick at least 5 business days before your planned return to work date.
Several benefits continue while you are away on Family Leave:
Coverage During Family Leave
|Benefit||Coverage During Family Leave|
|Health Insurance Benefits||Medical, Dental, Vision and the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) will continue during your Medical Leave for up to 365 calendar days in accordance with applicable law. Payments will continue to be taken from pay received from VMware during your Medical Leave. You are responsible for repaying your contributions upon your return to work from any unpaid portion of your Medical Leave. If you remain on leave after 365 calendar days, you will receive continuation of healthcare election rights under COBRA. You are responsible to maintain your benefit elections during Annual Enrollment or if you experience a qualified life event, while on leave.|
|Maven||Maven provides on-demand virtual care, clinically informed content, and a supportive community for during parental leave. Book on-demand appointments with providers in 25+ specialties with your VMware-sponsored membership|
|Flexible Spending Account||Deductions will be suspended during any unpaid portion of your leave. You are responsible to maintain your benefit elections during Annual Enrollment or if you experience a qualified life event, while on leave. Plan rules apply.|
|401(k) Savings Plan||Contributions will be suspended during any unpaid portion of your leave. Plan rules apply.|
|Basic Life and AD&D||Basic Life insurance, Supplemental Life insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) coverage will continue through the duration of your employment. Upon the termination of your employment, you may be offered the opportunity to convert or port your policy. Plan rules apply.|
Returning to Work
To return to work from a Family Leave, you must complete the following steps:
- Contact Sedgwick at 1-866-251-1749 to confirm your return to work.
- Tell your manager in advance of your return.
Please Note: VMware companies will comply with all applicable local, state and federal leave laws. This outward facing document is a brief summary only and does not provide all information regarding applicable job protection, benefits, wage replacement, and other provisions. For additional detail see the applicable Family Leave of Absence policy [VMware network access required] for detailed information.
California Voluntary Disability & Paid Family Leave Policy [VMware network access required]
Family Leave of Absence Policy [VMware network access required]
Wage Replacement Policy [VMware network access
Last Updated: 17 Sep 2021, 1:23 PM