California Bone Marrow/Organ Donation Leave
The California Bone Marrow/Organ Donation Leave (or CABMOD) allows you to take a leave of absence to serve as a bone marrow or organ donor. The leave entitlement is 30 days of paid leave for organ donation and 5 days for bone marrow donation.
All regular employees are immediately eligible for CABMOD Leave on the first day of employment at VMware. All available Sick Time must be exhausted before you are eligible for CABMOD Leave. (Up to a maximum of five working days for bone marrow donation and ten working days for organ donation.)
VMware will grant CABMOD Leave if you are serving as an organ donor or bone marrow donor in accordance with the California Bone Marrow/Organ Donation Leave requirements. VMware will also grant Bone Marrow/Organ Donation Leave to employees residing in any U.S. state applying the same terms of the CABMOD Leave requirements.
Duration and Job Protection
Your job is protected while you are on CABMOD Leave. When you return to work, you will be reinstated to the same or equivalent job with the same pay, benefits and terms and conditions of employment. Once your statutory leave runs out, VMware will make every effort to return you to the same or similar position held before your leave, but VMware has the right to post your job and fill the vacancy.
CABMOD is a paid leave. VMware will provide your regular pay while you are out on leave. If your doctor certifies your bone marrow/organ donation as a medical disability, you may be entitled to benefits under the Medical Leave disability plans.
Requesting California Bone/Organ Donation Leave
If you plan on being away from work for bone marrow or organ donation, you must request a CABMOD Leave of Absence by doing the following:
Before Your Leave Starts
- Notify your manager/supervisor at least 30 days in advance, if possible.
- Contact Sedgwick at 1-866-251-1749 to initiate a leave of absence.
- Have the following information ready before contacting Sedgwick:
– Last day at work
– Start date of your leave of absence
– Actual or anticipated return to work date
– Physician’s contact information
After You Initiate Your Leave of Absence
- Fill out the paperwork provided by Sedgwick and send the completed paperwork back to them.
- Once Sedgwick receives your forms, they will determine your eligibility based on applicable federal/state leave laws as well as VMware’s leave of absence policies.
- Sedgwick will let you know if you are eligible for any other federal or state leaves of absence.
- Sedgwick will ask your doctor’s office to complete the Attending Physician’s Statement form.
- Your manager, HR and Payroll teams will be notified of your request for a leave of absence.
Several benefits continue while you are away on CABMOD Leave:
Coverage During CABMOD Leave
|Benefit||Coverage During CABMOD Leave|
|Health Insurance Benefits||Medical, Dental, Vision and the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) will continue during your leave (up to 5 days for bone marrow donation and 30 days for organ donation). You are responsible to maintain your benefit elections during Annual Enrollment or if you experience a qualified life event, while on leave.|
|Flexible Spending Account||Deductions will be suspended during any unpaid portion of your leave. You are responsible to maintain your benefit elections during Annual Enrollment or if you experience a qualified life event, while on leave. Plan rules apply.|
|401(k) Savings Plan||Contributions will be suspended during any unpaid portion of your leave. Plan rules apply.|
|Basic Life and AD&D||Basic Life insurance, Supplemental Life insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) coverage will continue through the duration of your employment. Upon the termination of your employment, you may be offered the opportunity to convert or port your policy. Plan rules apply.|
Returning to Work
To return to work, you must complete the following steps:
- Contact Sedgwick and your manager to confirm your return to work date in advance. You will need to supply a return to work release note from your doctor.
- If you have work restrictions that impact your ability to perform your job duties, contact the Employee Relations Leave of Absence team to discuss specific accommodations. The ER-LOA team needs at least three (3) business days to review your request, subject to applicable law.
Please Note: VMware companies will comply with all applicable local, state and federal leave laws. This outward facing document is a brief summary only and does not provide all information regarding applicable job protection, benefits, wage replacement, and other provisions. For additional detail see the applicable California Bone Marrow/Organ Donation Leave policy [VMware network access required] for detailed information for detailed information.
Employee Relations Leave of Absence Team
ASK HR [VMware network access required]
Phone: 1-888-VMWARE8, option ‘US Benefits’
Internal Phone: ext. 29200
California Bone Marrow/Organ Donation Leave Policy [VMware network access required]