Adoption & Surrogacy Assistance Program
In addition to leaves of absence that may be available to eligible employees under the VMware Leave of Absence policies, the U.S. Adoption and Surrogacy Assistance Program helps to cover expenses associated with adopting a child eighteen years or younger or when using a surrogate to assist in carrying and giving birth to your child.
How it Works
If you are a regular full-time U.S. employee, VMware will reimburse 100% of all eligible expenses associated with the adoption of a child or using a surrogate to carry and give birth to your child, up to a total maximum of $12,000 per event. If both parents and/or domestic partners are employees of VMware, expenses are reimbursed only once per child. The program has no lifetime maximum. You must be an active employee at the time the adoption is legally finalized, or the surrogate gives birth to receive reimbursement from the Program.
- Court fees
- Adoption agency fees
- Attorney/Legal fees
- Travel and lodging expenses associated with an adoption/surrogacy
- Immigration and immunization fees associated with an adoption/surrogacy
- Medical expenses of the child and/or birth mother/surrogate
- Guardianship or custody costs that are not associated with the legal adoption/surrogacy of the child
- Voluntary contributions such as donations
- Adoptions/surrogacies that are not legally recognized
- Cost of personal items such as: transportation to doctor’s appointments, special food, over-the-counter supplements, maternity clothing, etc.
- Loss of income, including but not limited to: loss of income due to complications of pregnancy such as bed rest for birth mother/surrogate
- Expenses reimbursed under another employer program
You will be eligible to submit a request for reimbursement starting the day the adoption has been legally finalized or the day the surrogate gives birth. Complete an Adoption/Surrogacy Assistance Reimbursement Form and submit it with required documentation via a HelpNow ticket to HR Source [VMware network access required]:
- Forms must be submitted within one year of the adoption or the birth of the child via a surrogate.
- An eligible employee who uses the Adoption/Surrogacy Assistance Program is not eligible to apply for both Adoption reimbursements and Surrogacy reimbursements for the same child.
- Reimbursements are generally paid within 1 to 2 pay periods of the approved reimbursement request.
- Applicable taxes will be withheld, and payments made will be reported on your W-2.
For additional support and resources to consider with the addition of a child to your family, see the Birth or Adoption life event page.
ASK HR [VMware network access required]
Phone: 1-888-VMWARE8, option ‘US Benefits’
Internal Phone: ext. 29200
Workday [VMware network access required]
Workday Quick Reference Guide: Birth or Adoption [VMware network access required]