Adoption Leave is granted to enable mothers to care for and bond with their adopted infants. VMware provides Government Paid Adoption Leave (GPAL) in accordance to statutory provisions.
You must meet the following criteria to apply for GPAL:
- You are the child’s adoptive mother;
- Your adoptive child is below twelve (12) months of age at the point of your leave consumption;
- You are/have been lawfully married at the point of your formal intent to adopt, which is:
- The filing of your adoption petition to the Family Court for adoption (for a Singapore Citizen (SC) child); or
- Issuance of Ministry of Social and Family Development’s (MSF) in-principle approval for a Dependent’s Pass (DP) for the adoptive child (for a child who is not a SC);
- You have served for a continuous period of at least three (3) calendar months immediately preceding the point of your formal intent to adopt; and
- If your adoptive child is not a SC, at least you or your spouse, who is adopting with you, must be an SC.
You may be eligible for other leaves in addition to Adoption Leave. Review the Child Care Leave , Family Leave , Infant Care Leave , Maternity Leave, Parental Leave and/or Paternity Leave pages for more information.
You are eligible four (4) weeks of leave to be taken within twelve (12) months from the child’s birth. Adoption Leave can be taken in a single continuous period or flexibly as agreed upon between you and your manager. You can start to take your Adoption Leave from the point of your formal intent to adopt, which is:
- If the child is a Singapore Citizen: After you have submitted your adoption petition to the Family Court to start the legal adoption process.
- If the child is not a Singapore Citizen: When you have been granted in-principle approval for a DP by the MSF.
Scheduling Adoption Leave
- Adoption Leave must be discussed with your manager. If an absence is unexpected, you should notify your manager as soon as reasonably possible.
- After your manager has been notified:
- You will need to email Payroll to notify them of your Adoption Leave. Be sure to include your manager on the email and include the dates you will be on leave.
- You will be required to send the following documents to HR Source [VMware network access required]:
- Doctor’s certificate
- Completed Declaration Form (Form GAL1) for GPAL application.
For additional support and resources to consider with the addition of a child to your family, see the Birth or Adoption life event page.