Vacation Time Off provides you with paid time off from your job for personal reasons including vacation, outside activities, and personal business. If your absence is due to an illness or injury, you should refer to the Sick Time Off  page.
All regular, part time and fixed term contract employees (on company payroll) are eligible for Vacation Time Off. The annual leave cycle runs from 1 January to 31 December each year.
The annual vacation time off entitlement is 24 days per calendar year based on a five – day working week. Vacation days can be taken in increments, however at least 10 working days leave must be taken consecutively.
These vacation days are in addition to public holidays employees are entitled to under the Romanian Labor Law Employment Regulations. If you start or leave your employment during a vacation year, your vacation time off entitlement for that vacation year will accrue pro rata per complete calendar month worked. Part – time employees are entitled to the same statutory vacation entitlement as full-time employees.
To maintain a healthy work/life balance, you are expected to take all holiday entitlement for the year.
You may carry over up to 5 days of unused vacation days, however these need to be taken by 31 March the next calendar year, otherwise any remaining days unused after this date will be forfeited.
If you are unable to use your Vacation Time off due to sickness, parental or other types of family leave or other work-related events you may request a carryover of your unused Vacation Time Off entitlement to the following calendar year and agree with your manager to take these days upon returning to work and in any case by 31 March of the next calendar year. Please connect with HR Source so this Time Off carry over balance can be tracked.
Termination of employment
You are expected to take accrued vacation before leaving VMware. Any unused accrued vacation up until the exit date will be paid out upon termination.
Scheduling Vacation Time Off
- Discuss your Vacation plans, in advance, with your manager. While business requirements must be taken into consideration, your manager will work with you to ensure that workload does not restrict you from taking Vacation Leave.
- Once agreed with your manager enter your Vacation Time Off in Workday  [VMware network access required] under time off type Romania Vacation Time Off (Days).
- Although vacation time off entitlement is provided in days, for the purposes of tracking such time off it will be logged in hours as follows: 1 day = 8 hours.
For further details refer to the Romania Time Away from Work Policy (LINK) [VMware network Access required].
Other Time Off Types
- Training and Study Leave: employees may request unpaid time away from work for the length of their vocational training which they may attend by their own initiative. The employment contract is suspended for the duration of the leave. The employee must request and agree with the employee the length of this leave.
- Unpaid Leave of absence: all full and part time employees may apply for unpaid leave of absence for up to one year in writing explaining the reason and intended time off for the absence.
- Kid’s marriage: employees are granted with 2 days of paid time off by statutory due to a son’s/daughter’s wedding or civil union.