Loss of a Loved One
Losing a loved one can be overwhelming. Here’s a checklist of the benefit changes you might want to consider and some other resources to help you through the process.
Changes and elections for most of the VMware benefit plans are made at annual enrollment; however, the loss of a loved one is considered a qualified life event. You must make changes within 30 days of the date of the qualified life event. You are eligible to make the following changes:
- Add, remove or enroll yourself and eligible dependents in Medical, Dental, Vision
- Add, increase, decrease or stop a Health Savings Account (HSA) contribution
- Add, increase or stop a Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Add, increase, decrease or stop Supplemental Employee Life Insurance
- Stop Spouse or Domestic Partner Supplemental Life Insurance, in the event of their death
- Stop Child Supplemental Life Insurance, in the event of their death
- Update Beneficiary information with your HSA, 401(k) Plan, Life Insurance [VMware network access required] and/or Stock Plans
To report the loss of a loved one, within 30 days of the event:
- Enroll or update your benefits online via Workday Benefits [VMware network access required]
- If you have questions, contact HR Source at 1-888-VMWARE8, option ‘US Benefits’ or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are the spouse or family member of a VMware employee who has recently passed away, please contact HR Source. They will ensure you are put in contact with the appropriate internal resources.
Planning time away from work to grieve after the loss of a loved one is an important consideration. Be sure to review the Bereavement page for eligibility requirements.
Things to Think About
- File a Life Insurance Claim
If you enrolled Supplemental Life Insurance for your loved one(s), contact HR Source for assistance with filing a claim. You may also consider contacting your loved one’s employer to find out what benefits they may have been eligible for.
- Personal Information
- To update your preferred name, emergency contact and/or home address, log into Workday [VMware network access required]. For more information and detailed instructions, please visit the Workday page [VMware network access required] on VMware Source.
- If you need to update your marital status and/or your legal name, you will need to contact HR Source [VMware network access required]. If changing your legal name, you will be required to supply your Social Security Card that reflects your new legal name.
- You will need to contact E*TRADE to update your personal address if you are enrolled in ESPP or have RSUs.
- You will need to contact Fidelity to update your personal address if you are enrolled in the brokerage option of the 401(k) plan. If you do not have the brokerage option, your new address will feed into Fidelity within 1-2 weeks, once you have updated it in Workday [VMware network access required].
- If you would like to update your W-4 withholdings, please visit ADP Payroll [VMware network access required].
- ARAG Legal Plan
If you are currently enrolled in the ARAG legal plan, review the legal services that can assist you.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
OPTUM provides objective, third-party support and advice for navigating life’s challenges. Services include counseling as well as legal and financial consultations. Contact OPTUM for more information.
ARAG Legal Plan
Workday Benefits [VMware network access required]
Workday Quick Reference Guide: Death of a Spouse, Domestic Partner, or Dependent [VMware network access required]