Divorce or Separation

If your marital or domestic partnership status is changing, here’s a checklist of the benefit changes you might want to consider and some other resources to help you through the process.

Benefit Changes

Changes and elections for most of the VMware benefit plans are made at annual enrollment; however, a divorce, legal separation or dissolution of domestic partnership is considered a qualified life event. You must make changes within 30 days of the date of the qualified life event. You are eligible to make the following changes:

To report your divorce, legal separation or dissolution of domestic partnership within 30 days of the event:

  • Enroll or update your benefits online via Workday [VMware network access required]
  • If you have questions, contact HR Source [VMware network access required] or via phone at 1-888-VMWARE8, option ‘US Benefits’.

Updating Personal Information

  • To update your preferred name, emergency contact and/or home address, log into Workday [VMware network access required]. For more information and detailed instructions, please visit the Workday page [VMware network access required]on VMware Source.
  • If you need to update your marital status and/or your legal name, you will need to contact HR Source [VMware network access required]. If changing your legal name, you will be required to supply your Social Security Card that reflects your new legal name.
  • You will need to contact E*TRADE to update your personal address if you are enrolled in ESPP or have RSUs.
  • You will need to contact Fidelity to update your personal address if you are enrolled in the brokerage option of the 401(k) Plan. If you do not have the brokerage option, your new address will feed to Fidelity within 1-2 weeks, once you have updated it in Workday [VMware network access required].
  • If you would like to update your W-4 withholdings, please visit ADP Payroll [VMware network access required].

Other Resources

  • ARAG Legal Plan

If you are currently enrolled in the ARAG legal plan, review the legal services that can assist you as you start this new chapter in your life.

  • Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is available at no charge to you and helps you be at your best, physically and emotionally. The EAP confidentially provides you and your family members, with objective, third-party support and advice for navigating life’s challenges.

Contact Us

HR Source
ASK HR [VMware network access required]
Phone: 1-888-VMWARE8, option ‘US Benefits’
Internal Phone: ext. 29200


Workday [VMware network access required]

Workday Quick Reference Guide: Divorce, Dissolution, or Legal Separation [VMware network access required]