Birth or Adoption
Congratulations! Bringing a new child into the family is an exciting time, and there’s a lot to think about. VMware provides some unique benefits and resources to help you through the process.
Changes and elections for most of the VMware benefit plans are made at annual enrollment; however, birth or adoption is considered a qualified life event. You must make changes within 30 days of the date of the qualified life event. If you do not meet this deadline, you must wait until the next annual enrollment or if you have another qualified life event and report it within 30 days. You are eligible to make the following changes:
- Add, remove or enroll yourself and eligible dependents in Medical, Dental, Vision
- Add, increase, decrease or stop a Health Savings Account (HSA) contribution
- Add, increase or stop a Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Add, increase, decrease or stop Optional Employee, Spouse and/or Child Life Insurance
- Update Beneficiary information with your HSA, 401(k) plan, Life Insurance [VMware network access required] and/or Stock Plans.
To report the birth or adoption of your child, within 30 days of the event:
- Enroll or update your benefits online via the Benefits Enrollment [VMware network access required]
- If you have questions, contact the Benefit Center at 1-888-VMWARE8, option ‘US Benefits’ or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You do not need your child’s social security number to enroll him or her. If your child qualifies for a social security number, please report the information once you receive it.
Planning time away from work to care for and bond with your child is an important consideration. In addition to vacation time, there are a number of leave options available. Be sure to review the details for eligibility requirements:
All leave requests must be made through our claims administrator, Sedgwick, by calling 1-866-251-1749.
- Adoption & Surrogacy Assistance Program
VMware provides an Adoption & Surrogacy Assistance Program to help cover the costs related to adopting a child or when using a surrogate to assist in carrying and giving birth to your child.
- ARAG Legal Plan
If you are currently enrolled in the ARAG legal plan, review the legal services that can assist you as you start this new chapter in your life.
- Back-Up Child Care
VMware partners with Bright Horizons to provide quality child care when your regular care giver arrangements fall through. The Back-Up Care Advantage Program provides up to 10 uses per plan year. Be sure to sign up in advance so you are ready for the unexpected.
Go to Bright Horizons and log in with:
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)
A Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA) lets you pay on a pre-tax basis for expenses incurred for the care of children under age 13. Eligible expenses include:
-Out-of-pocket child care or babysitting services in your home or someone else’s home
-Licensed daycare and certain expenses for full-time live-in nannies and summer day camps
-For more information see Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
CONCERN: EAP has a wealth of tools and resources that include help finding agencies that assist with prenatal planning, adoption, childcare, after-school and summer programs, and specialized care for dependents with special needs. Contact CONCERN: EAP to receive a complimentary New Baby Kit.
ARAG Legal Plan
Back-Up Care Advantage
Phone 1-888-VMWARE8, option ‘US Benefits’