Birth or Adoption
Congratulations! Bringing a new child into the family is an exciting time, and there’s a lot to think about. VMware provides some unique benefits and resources to help you through the process.
Changes and elections for most of the VMware benefit plans are made at annual enrollment; however, birth or adoption is considered a qualified life event. You must make changes within 60 days of the birth/adoption of your child. If you do not meet this deadline, you must wait until the next annual enrollment or if you have another qualified life event and report it within 30 days of that event. You are eligible to make the following changes:
- Add, remove or enroll yourself and eligible dependents in Medical, Dental, Vision (please refer to the Employee Contributions chart for a detailed breakdown of per paycheck contributions)
- Change your current Medical, Dental, and/or Vision plan (please refer to the Medical Plan Comparison Chart for more information)
- Add, increase, decrease or stop a Health Savings Account (HSA) contribution
- Add, increase or stop a Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Add, increase, decrease or stop Supplemental Employee, Spouse and/or Child Life Insurance
- Update Beneficiary information with your HSA, 401(k) plan, Life Insurance [VMware network access required] and/or Stock Plans
- Activate your free Maven membership (see ‘Maven’ below’)
To report the birth or adoption of your child, within 60 days of the event:
- Enroll or update your benefits online via Workday [VMware network access required]
- If you have questions, contact HR Source [VMware network access required] or via phone at 1-888-VMWARE8, option ‘US Benefits’.
You do not need your child’s social security number to enroll him or her. If your child qualifies for a social security number, please report the information once you receive it.
Planning time away from work to care for and bond with your child is an important consideration. In addition to vacation time, there are a number of leave options available. Be sure to review the details for eligibility requirements:
All leave requests must be made through our claims administrator, Sedgwick, by calling 1-866-251-1749.
- Maven: 24/7 Support for New and Expecting Parents
Maven provides on-demand virtual care, clinically informed content, and a supportive community for new and prospective parents. If you or your partner are thinking about pregnancy in the future, already pregnant, exploring fertility treatments like IVF or egg freezing, or considering adoption or surrogacy — VMware offers you free, unlimited access.
- Adoption & Surrogacy Assistance Program
VMware provides an Adoption & Surrogacy Assistance Program to help cover the costs related to adopting a child or when using a surrogate to assist in carrying and giving birth to your child.
- ARAG Legal Plan
If you are currently enrolled in the ARAG legal plan, review the legal services that can assist you as you start this new chapter in your life.
- Back-Up Child Care
The Back-Up Care Advantage Program provides up to 12 uses per plan year. Be sure to sign up in advance so you are ready for the unexpected.
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)
A Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA) lets you pay on a pre-tax basis for expenses incurred for the care of children under age 13.
- Lyra: Coaching, Therapy, and Work Life Services
The Lyra: Coaching, Therapy, and Work Life Services is available at no charge to you and helps you be at your best, physically and emotionally.
Rethink’s award-winning, research-based program provides support to parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities at no cost to you.
Workday [VMware network access required]
Workday Quick Reference Guide: Birth or Adoption [VMware network access required]
Last Updated: 17 Sep 2021, 1:30 PM