VMware provides a safe and inclusive environment for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and/or Questioning, Intersex employees and our Allies (LGBTQIA) to advocate for equal rights and respect for everyone at VMware. Through community building, education, and activism VMware helps attract, retain, and grow bright and diverse talent at VMware. VMware envisions a time and place where every employee can feel they belong each day and are empowered to stand up and lead.
A cornerstone of our benefits strategy is a comprehensive and highly competitive suite of benefits specifically tailored to the needs of our LGBTQIA+ families. This customized program is designed to meet the unique needs of our employees and their loved ones, while providing greater access and self-determination in care. Our goal is to ensure that everyone feels equally included, valued, and appreciated.
We are proud to share that over the past 3 years VMware has consistently scored 100% on the Human Right Campaign survey. Our medical plan benefits not only align with WPATH but exceed the WPATH recommended standards.
In the U.S., our employees are eligible to cover their same-sex or opposite-sex spouses or domestic partners. In addition, we allow the option to cover the dependent children of your spouse/domestic partner, stepchildren and foster children up to age 26.
Below are a few highlights of the US Benefit plans and programs that provide support to our LGBTQIA+ families:
PPO Medical Plans administered thru United Healthcare (UHC)
For those with a diagnosis of Gender Dysphoria, our UHC PPO Medical Plans provide the following summary or services, with no lifetime maximums:
- Cross-Sex Hormone Therapy
- Puberty Suppression Medications – Tanner Stage 2
- Electrolysis / Laser Hair Removal
- To remove barriers to receiving timely care, VMware has removed the mental health check requirements for surgical procedures.
- Covers certain procedures previously considered cosmetic:
- Mammoplasty / Mastectomy / Chest Reconstruction / Pectoral Implants
- Facial Feminization / Rhinoplasty / Rhytidectomy / Reduction Thyroid Chondroplasty
- Voice Modification Surgery
In order to provide clarity on exactly which services are covered, we have provided a detailed list of covered services, as well as excluded services, for Gender Dysphoria within our plan documents:
Progyny – Fertility Benefits
Progyny provides inclusive fertility services for VMware employees and their covered partners who are enrolled in our UHC PPO medical plans. The program benefits include:
Family Building for Single Men or Same Sex Couples
- Surrogacy Benefit Management
- Assisted Reproduction Services for Embryo Creation
- Surrogacy and Adoption Information and Counseling
Assisted Reproduction for Single Women and Same Sex Female Couples
- Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) with Donor Sperm
- Reciprocal or Partner (IVF) In Vitro Fertilization
- Fresh (IVF) In Vitro Fertilization
- Frozen (IVF) In Vitro Fertilization
- Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET)
Assisted Reproduction for Transgender Individuals
- Fertility Preservation
Review the Progyny LGBTQIA+ Fertility and Family-Building Benefits for more information.
Kaiser HMO N CA Medical Plan
Kaiser HMO N. CA is committed to assisting LGBTQIA+ members lead healthier lives with more health care choices than ever before. Visit the Kaiser HMO N CA LGBTQIA+ Health page for more information.
Adoption/Surrogacy Assistance Program
The U.S. Adoption & Surrogacy Assistance Program helps to cover expenses associated with adopting a child eighteen years or younger or when using a surrogate to assist in carrying and giving birth to your child.
If you are a regular full-time U.S. employee, VMware will reimburse 100% of all eligible expenses associated with the adoption of a child or using a surrogate to carry and give birth to your child, up to a total maximum of $12,000 per child. If both parents and/or domestic partners are employees of VMware, expenses are reimbursed only once per child. The program has no lifetime maximum. You must be an active employee at the time the adoption is legally finalized, or the surrogate gives birth to receive reimbursement from the Program.
Eligible expenses under this program include Court Fees, Adoption Agency Fees, Attorney and Legal Fees & Travel and lodging expenses, immigration and immunization fees associated with an adoption/surrogacy, medical expenses of the child and/or birth mother/surrogate.
Paid Parental Leave (PPL)
VMware supports employees and their families in one of the most important times in life – the birth of a child, parentage via surrogacy, and adoption. The US Paid Parental Leave policy provides parents time off for pregnancy disability, childbirth, child delivered via surrogacy, placement of a child in your home for adoption, and to bond with your new child. Parents receive up to 18 weeks of full pay under the program. If both parents are VMware US employees, both parents will be eligible for 18 weeks of PPL at full pay.
Our vision of inclusion also extends beyond just traditional family relationships. Our Global Bereavement Policy, provides up to 20 days of time off with pay to grieve the loss of a loved one. We don’t define a loved one, you are at liberty to define who you need time away from work to grieve. We also recognize the important role your family pets play in your life. For this reason, we also provide 2 days of bereavement leave to grieve the loss of your family pet.
Additional Programs to Consider
- Legal insurance that can help with everyday situations: adopting a child, guardianship, protection orders, name changes, prenuptial agreements, etc.
- Low-cost backup child and adult care for when your regular arrangements break down.
- To assist you and your family members with being your best, physically and emotionally. From counseling services to referrals and education tools.
- When you need to be off work to care for your child, spouse, domestic partner or parent.
If you need an extended period off work for personal reasons.
ASK HR [VMware network access required]
Phone: 1-888-VMWARE8, option ‘US Benefits’
Internal Phone: ext. 29200