VMware Japan participates in a multi-employer Health Insurance Association (HIA) called “ITS HIA”. While mirroring the statutory Employee Health Insurance (EHI) benefits by law, HIA are typically able to provide a lower monthly deductible on employee out-of-pocket expenses, more generous lump-sum benefits, and wellness benefits all at lower premiums than the EHI.
All VMware employees are automatically covered through in the ITS HIA. Per statutory requirements, dependent coverage is extended to the employee’s:
- Younger siblings
- Dependent relatives within 3rd degree living in the same household as the insured.
In order to qualify for coverage, eligible dependents must earn under JPY 1,300,000 per year (JPY 1,800,000 for dependents over 60) and less than half of the insured’s income to be covered. Persons over 75 years old automatically join the government-managed elderly-care scheme.
Per statutory requirements, the following HIA provides the following benefits:
- 70% of medical costs for person in primary school to aged 69
- 80% of medical costs for children at preschool age and younger
- 80% of medical costs for persons aged 70 to 74 years old (70% if persons income exceeds a certain level)
An additional medical cost Out-of-pocket maximum benefit is provided to the employee and dependents from statutory requirements:
- Maximum Medical costs by employee self payment: Up to JPY 20,000 per month per facility.
Employees pay 30% of medical expenses up front. Any expense that exceeds the out-of-pocket maximum above will be reimbursed.
The following benefits are provided in addition to statutory benefits amounts:
- Childbirth Lump Sum Benefit (per child for insured and dependant): JPY 90,000
- Funeral Lump Sum Benefit (insured and dependant): JPY 150,000 per death
- A multitude of Wellness benefits and Preventative programs for insureds and dependents are also offered such as Club/Resorts via JTB and LaForet memberships, special medical check-ups, EAP programs, etc.
There are pre-existing conditions which may be excluded under the Healthcare plan that can be found on the HIA website .
Both VMware and the employees contribute 4.25% of monthly standard remuneration (up to JPY 59,075 per month) and total yearly bonus (up to JPY 243,525) to the HIA. For employees aged 40 to 64, both VMware and employees are required to pay an additional Nursing Care premium.
When Coverage Begins
Coverage for you and your dependents under the ITS HIA will begin on your first day of active work as an eligible employee, provided you enroll within 30 calendar days of your start date.
When Coverage Ends
Coverage for you and your dependents under the ITS HIA will end on the last day of your employment with VMware.