VMware provides Parental Leave (congedo parentale) in accordance with statutory requirements so that you can take the necessary time off work to take care for your child.
To be eligible for Parental Leave you must be the mother or father of a child under the age of twelve (12) years and have responsibility for the child’s upbringing. Eligibility includes adopting parents. The leave will be multiplied in case of multiple birth.
In general terms, either the mother or the father may take up to six (6) months’ leave until the child reaches the age of twelve (12).
- The mother can take up to six (6) months’ leave.
- The father can take up to six (6) months’ leave, or seven (7) in the case they are taking more than 3 months in a row with no interruptions.
- If both parents take the leave, in total they cannot exceed the ten (10) months of leave of absence, eleven (11) months in case the father takes 3 or more months with no interruptions.
- Single parents can take eleven (11) months of leave of absence.
During Parental Leave you will receive 30% of your normal salary from Social Security. The paid periods have statutory set lengths, with a maximum paid period of 9 months per family:
- The mother will be paid for a maximum period of three (3) months.
- The father will be paid for a maximum period of three (3) months.
- Either the mother or the father can apply for an additional paid period of three (3) months.
- Single parents will be paid for a maximum period of nine (9) months.
Up to one month of parental leave, if taken before the child turns 6 years old, is covered by an allowance of 80% of your normal salary from Social Security, rather than 30%.
Scheduling Parental Leave
Discuss your Parental Leave plans, in advance, with your manager. You must request the days off on the INPS website or through a patronato with minimum 15 days of notice.
While business requirements must be taken into consideration, your manager will work with you to ensure that workload does not restrict you from taking Parental Leave. Be sure to contact HR Source  [VMware network access required] during your Maternity Leave to schedule your Parental Leave.
Returning to Work
While on Parental Leave you should maintain open communication with your manager and HR Source  [VMware network access required]. VMware will assume that you wish to return to work at the end of your Parental Leave period; however, you should contact HR Source  [VMware network access required] towards the end of your scheduled Parental Leave to confirm and arrange your return to work.
For additional support and resources to consider with the addition of a child to your family, see the Birth or Adoption  page.