Short Term and Total & Permanent Disability
Short Term Disability Eligibility
All regular full-time employees of VMware are eligible for Short Term Disability (STD) benefits.
Short Term Disability (STD) benefits will be payable on the first day of sickness or disability.
If you should become disabled, you will receive a monthly income replacement benefit based on the number of days you are sick or disabled:
Percent of Monthly Salary per Days Sick or Disabled
|Days Sick or Disabled||Percent of Monthly Salary|
|1 to 60 Days||100%|
|61 to 120 Days*||80%|
* Please note that from day 60 to 120, VMware will get reimbursement from the Disability Income Insurance in the amount of 70% of monthly salary for the first HK$20,000 plus 50% of the remaining balance, subject to a maximum benefit of HK$50,000.
Total and Permanent Disability Eligibility
All regular full-time employees of VMware are eligible for Total & Permanent Disability (TPD) insurance.
If you should become total and permanently disabled while in the service of VMware due to illness or injury your beneficiaries will receive a lump sum payment of two (2) times annual benefits salary, payable in 60 equal monthly installments (retroactively from date of disability) after completion of the six (6) month waiting period. Exclusions to the plan:
- Intentionally self-inflicted injury; or
- Any act due to war, declared or undeclared, or
- Military, naval or air service for any country at war, declared or undeclared; or
- Radioactive contamination (direct or indirect) ; or
- Nuclear, chemical & biological terrorism.
Benefits will be payable if you, by reason of injury or sickness, are unlikely ever to engage in or to work for any compensation or profit in any business, occupation or employment. The insured shall be deemed to be totally and permanently disabled if he experienced:
- Total and irrecoverable loss of sight of both eyes, or
- The complete and permanent paralysis of hands or feet or actual severance at or proximal to wrists or ankle joints, or
- Total and irrecoverable loss of sight of one eye and either, or
- The complete and permanent paralysis of one hand or one foot, or
- Actual severance at or proximal to wrist or ankle joint.
If you are totally and permanently disabled for 6 consecutive months, your benefit will be payable in 60 equal monthly installments retroactively from the date the disability commenced (unless specified otherwise) If you die subsequently, the balance of your life insurance benefit after deduction of the TPD benefit paid will be payable as a lump sum to your legal personal representative.
Free Coverage Limit
You automatically qualify for Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) insurance up to HK $7,000,000.
You are automatically enrolled in the Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) insurance and insured for amounts under the free cover limit listed above. In order to qualify for insurance amounts exceeding the free cover limit you may need to undergo a medical examination. The insurance company will contact you within your first month to provide you with details.
VMware pays 100% of the premium costs for the Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) insurance.
When Coverage Begins
Coverage will begin on your first day of active work as a VMware employee.
When Coverage Ends
Coverage will end on the last day of your employment with VMware.
- Notify AXA China Region immediately through your Human Resources Department in the event of any death, dismemberment or disability claim.
- Advice on necessary procedures and completion of appropriate forms will be given to you or your beneficiary.
- Benefits will be released as soon as the claim is processed.
FEEDBACK: Was this information useful?
Last Updated: 22 Feb 2022, 1:19 PM