Maternity Leave is part of the Global Paid Parental Leave Policy “GPPL”
VMware recognizes the importance and value of its employees’ family lives and seeks to provide a family-friendly environment that is supportive of working parents.
The Global Paid Parental Leave Program (“Program”) is intended to:
- provide minimum leave and payment benefits for new parents employed by VMware; and
- support all eligible employees to take time off from work for pre-natal periods subject to applicable local law, childbirth, placement of a child for adoption, and/or to spend time with their new
A copy of the full GPPL policy is available here
A copy of the FAQ’s is here
This Program applies to all full-time and part-time employees permanent (“Employees” or “Employee”) directly employed by VMware. Subject to applicable law, contractors and non-employees are not eligible to participate in this Program. All active employees whose child is born on or after March 1 2022 are eligible for the leave entitlement detailed below. If your child was born prior to March 1 2022, please note that the previous leave policy applies. To understand your entitlements under the previous leave policy please contact HR Source.
Employees may take advantage of Maternity Leave up to 3 times in line with the applicable law. Maternity Leave could be applied as soon as your pregnancy has been confirmed, by a doctor. There is no minimum service requirement.
Employees are entitled to receive up to eighteen (18) weeks of leave, paid at their base salary rate (subject to applicable law) or, for commissioned employees, on target earnings (OTE), where they seek time off from work for pre-natal periods subject to applicable local law, childbirth, placement of a child for adoption, and/or to spend time with their new child. However, in Egypt the maternity entitlement is 135 days, so after GPPL has been exhausted, statutory provision will apply for the remaining days up to 135.
Employees who are the legal parent of the new child have twelve (12) months to avail of GPPL from the date of their new child’s birth or from the official legal adoption placement date or from an earlier date, if provided for by Local Benefits. GPPL can be used all at once or divided into a maximum of three separate blocks of time, which do not have to be equal lengths of time off. For the avoidance of doubt, any Local Benefits already availed will be set off against GPPL.
Maternity leave may begin:
- 45 days before the expected date of your child’s birth unless otherwise agreed with the Company; or
- on a date from which a certified medical practitioner or a midwife certifies that it is necessary for your health/the health of your unborn child.
- a minimum of 45 days Maternity Leave must always be taken after the birth.
Additional Unpaid Maternity Leave
Employees may take additional, unpaid maternity leave for up to 2 years and 3 months ( after completing Maternity and using all vacation balance). During this period of unpaid leave, employees will be required to contribute to 50% of their medical insurance with the Company.
Vacation Time Off entitlement will cease on your last day of paid employment with VMware. During the period of unpaid maternity leave there will be no Vacation Time Off entitlement, nor will any such entitlement accrue during this period, nor will you have access to any other VMware benefit other than the medical insurance policy as specified above.
Treatment of Bonus/Commission Plans whilst on Maternity Leave
Bonus: Please see the VMware Corporate Bonus Plan Rules.
Commission: Please see the VMware Inc, Sales and Compensation Terms and Conditions for the relevant period.
All benefits will continue to be provided and subject to the terms and conditions of the benefit plan in force at that time. Vacation continues to accrue whilst on leave of absence
Scheduling Maternity Leave
- You should inform your Manager and HR Source [VMware network access required] of your pregnancy as soon as reasonably possible or within a minimum of 4 weeks prior to commencing your leave, so that proper arrangements can be made prior to your leave period.
- Once agreed with your Manager, please then contact HR Source EMEA [VMware network access required]. HR Source EMEA [VMware network access required] will support you with queries on the benefit and will work with the responsible teams to ensure your Maternity Leave is tracked correctly.
- Before the Company can arrange your Maternity Leave and pay, you will also need to provide a copy of your medical certificate from your doctor, indicating your child’s expected due date.
Returning to Work
While on Maternity Leave you should maintain open communication with your manager and HR Source [VMware network access required]. VMware will assume that you wish to return to work at the end of your Maternity Leave period however; you should contact HR Source [VMware network access required] towards the end of your scheduled Maternity Leave to confirm and arrange your return to work.
For additional support and resources to consider with the addition of a child to your family, see the Birth or Adoption life event page.
Please note: This information is an overview of Maternity Leave only. To check any other eligible leave entitlement please refer to the Egypt Family Leave Policy [VMware network access required] for detailed information.
FEEDBACK: Was this information useful?
Last Updated: 17 Jun 2022, 4:51 PM