VMware is dedicated to work-life balance and offers a family-friendly environment that is supportive of working parents. VMware provides Maternity Leave in accordance with statutory requirements so that you can take the necessary time off work to recover and to bond with your new baby.
All female employees who give birth to a child. Employees may take advantage of Maternity Leave up to 3 times in line with the applicable law. You can apply for Maternity Leave as soon as your pregnancy has been confirmed, by a doctor. There is no minimum service requirement.
You are entitled to take up to 90 days paid Maternity Leave, as per statutory requirements, plus an additional 45 days paid Maternity Leave provided by VMware, to allow additional time for bonding with your newborn (135 days in total). This period of leave is inclusive of any statutory Maternity Leave entitlement. Any Maternity Leave entitlement taken by you will count first against your statutory Maternity Leave entitlement.
Your period of Maternity Leave may begin any time from:
- 45 days before the expected date of your child’s birth unless otherwise agreed with the Company; or
- on a date from which a certified medical practitioner or a midwife certifies that it is necessary for your health/the health of your unborn child.
The Maternity Leave entitlement can be taken, or divided, before or after giving birth/your baby is born. A minimum of 45 days Maternity Leave must always be taken after the birth.
You will be entitled to your full base salary for up to 135 days of maternity leave inclusive of any Social Security Contributions you are entitled to by law during this period of leave. You may request a further period of unpaid maternity leave for three months if you have completed your Maternity Leave and used all your vacation balance.
Additional Unpaid Maternity Leave
Employees may take additional, unpaid maternity leave for up to 2 years and 3 months. During this period of unpaid leave, employees will be required to contribute to 50% of their medical insurance with the Company.
Vacation Time Off entitlement will cease on your last day of paid employment with VMware. During the period of unpaid maternity leave there will be no Vacation Time Off entitlement, nor will any such entitlement accrue during this period, nor will you have access to any other VMware benefit other than the medical insurance policy as specified above.
Treatment of Bonus/Commission Plans whilst on Maternity Leave
Bonus: Please see the VMware Corporate Bonus Plan Rules.
Commission: Please see the VMware Inc, Sales and Compensation Terms and Conditions for the relevant period.
Scheduling Maternity Leave
- You should inform your Manager and HR Source [VMware network access required] of your pregnancy as soon as reasonably possible or within a minimum of 4 weeks prior to commencing your leave, so that proper arrangements can be made prior to your leave period.
- Once agreed with your Manager, please then contact HR Source EMEA [VMware network access required]. HR Source EMEA [VMware network access required] will support you with queries on the benefit and will work with the responsible teams to ensure your Maternity Leave is tracked correctly.
- Before the Company can arrange your Maternity Leave and pay, you will also need to provide a copy of your medical certificate from your doctor, indicating your child’s expected due date.
Returning to Work
While on Maternity Leave you should maintain open communication with your manager and HR Source [VMware network access required]. VMware will assume that you wish to return to work at the end of your Maternity Leave period however; you should contact HR Source [VMware network access required] towards the end of your scheduled Maternity Leave to confirm and arrange your return to work.
For additional support and resources to consider with the addition of a child to your family, see the Birth or Adoption life event page.
Please note: This information is an overview of Maternity Leave only. To check any other eligible leave entitlement please refer to the Egypt Family Leave Policy [VMware network access required] for detailed information.