Welcome to VMware! U.S. Paid Interns working more than 20 hours per week will be eligible for select medical, dental and vision plans. Please note, interns are not eligible for standard full-time employee benefits such as paid vacation, sick time, 401(k) or employee stock programs.
You have 30 days from your date of hire to enroll in your benefits. Be sure to take the time to review your benefit options before you enroll.
Paid Interns are eligible for either the HSA PPO medical plan or the HSA PPO Non-Eligible HSA medical plan.
The HSA PPO  medical plan is a blend of a traditional PPO plan and a Health Savings Account (HSA) . This tax-advantaged plan lets you save ahead of time for medical expenses. It gives you all the coverage you need while letting you choose how you spend on healthcare.
The HSA PPO Non-Eligible HSA medical plan is the same medical plan as the HSA PPO  medical plan, however, you do not have access to a Health Savings Account (HSA) . If you are eligible for Medicare, TriCare, are covered by your parents non-HSA medical plan and/or Flexible Spending Account  or you’re enrolled in your university’s medical plan, you should enroll in the HSA PPO Non-Eligible HSA medical plan. Otherwise enroll in the HSA PPO  medical plan if you are wanting coverage.
Both medical plans give you access to the UnitedHealthcare  Choice Plus network. ME, MA & NH residents also have access to the Harvard Pilgrim network. Visit the HSA PPO  medical page for more information on what the medical plan covers.
VMware offers dental coverage  through Delta Dental. You may use any dental provider you choose, but you save when you use dentists within Delta Dental’s PPO network.
VMware offers vision coverage  through Vision Service Plan (VSP). Paid Interns are eligible for the VSP Core Vision plan, that offers coverage for exams, lenses, frames and contact lenses.
Intern Contributions for 2020
|Plan||Paid Intern Only||Paid Intern + Spouse / Domestic Partner||Paid Intern + Child(ren)||Paid Intern + Family|
|Medical: HSA PPO||$0.00||$67.09||$47.21||$121.13|
|Dental: Delta Dental PPO||$0.00||$7.20||$12.68||$20.21|
|Vision: VSP Core Plan||$0.00||$0.37||$0.39||$1.07|
1 Per paycheck contributions are 24 times per year. Contributions are pre-tax (except for Domestic Partner  coverage).
- Your spouse or domestic partner. Please note: after tax contributions and imputed income may apply when covering a domestic partner. See the Domestic Partner Imputed Income Rate Table  for details
- Your child(ren), your spouse’s / domestic partner’s child(ren), are eligible for medical coverage until age 26, regardless of student status.
- Your Foster Children (UHC plans only)
Health Savings Account
A Health Savings Account (HSA)  is a personal savings account that you use for healthcare. You may contribute pre-tax dollars towards this account to pay for out-of-pocket medical expenses under the HSA PPO  plan or dental  or vision  expenses. You decide how much money to contribute through payroll deductions and your savings are deposited tax-free. There are many advantages to opening a Health Savings Account. Visit HealthEquity ’s education website for information and resources for managing your HSA.
Take advantage of these tools and resources to help you with your health benefits:
- Visit UHC’s Pre-Member site  for an introduction to the benefits and services offered by UnitedHealthcare.
- Visit HealthEquity’s  education website for information and resources for managing your HSA plan.
- HealthEquity webinar : Navigating the HSA portal.
- Review important Notices and Documents  pertaining to your VMware benefit plans.
- Become a member of the Benefits: US  [VMware network access required] group, on VMware Social. Click ‘Join Space’ and click the ‘Star’ to stay informed on the latest benefits information.
- Not sure what something means? Review the Key Benefit Terms  for a glossary of commonly used terms related to your U.S. Benefits.
Looking For Your ID Card?
While you are covered from your date of hire, it can take up to 3 weeks before you receive your ID card from UnitedHealthcare or CVS Caremark. If you need to seek care, contact the UnitedHealthcare for assistance. Carrier’s name, phone number, and group number are available on our Contacts  page. Delta Dental and the Vision Service Plan (VSP) do not require ID cards.
Full-time interns are eligible for holiday pay (8 hours) for each Public Holidays  that takes place during their employment at VMware.
Below are additional programs that are run outside of the US Benefits team:
- Intern Program Shuttle (Palo Alto Campus Only) – Shuttle service is available to all Palo Alto interns living in VMware provided housing. You are not eligible for the shuttle if you selected to receive the lump sum relocation package. The shuttle schedule will be posted to slack and sent via email prior to your first day.
- Transportation  [VMware network access required] – Company sponsored transit passes for employees working at San Francisco Bay area office locations.
- US Payroll  [VMware network access required] – Your source of information for pay statements, the payroll calendar, payroll forms and recording time off.
- VMware Foundation  [VMware network access required] – The VMware Foundation Service Learning Program grants each full time intern one day (8 hours) of paid time to participate in service learning activities for eligible organizations. You will learn more about how to participate in the Service Learning Program on your first day.
Don’t let enrollment pass you by! Enroll via Workday  [VMware network access required] within your first 30 days. Review the Workday Quick Reference Guide: Enroll in Benefits  [VMware network access required] for step-by-step instructions.
If you don’t take action, you will be opted out of health coverage and will not be able to enroll unless you have a Qualified Life Event  and report it within 30 days of the event – 60 days for Birth/Adoption  life events.
Have a Question?
ASK HR  [VMware network access required]
Phone: 1-888-VMWARE8, option ‘US Benefits’
Internal Phone: ext. 29200