Vacation is time away from your job for personal reasons, including vacation, outside activities and personal business. If your absence is due to your illness or a family member’s illness, you should refer to the Sick Time page.
The vacation year commences on January 1st and ends on December 31st in the same year calendar year.
Vacation time is accrued based on years of service. Vacation time will be granted at the beginning of the vacation year, based on years of completed service as of January 15th. Vacation time entitlement can be used in minimum increments of one-half day (4 hours).
|Years of Service||Vacation Time|
|Less than 3 years||15 working days (120 hours)|
|3 years||17 working days (136 hours)|
|4 years||19 working days (152 hours)|
|5 years||21 working days (168 hours)|
|6 – 9 years||23 working days (184 hours)|
|10+ years||25 working days (200 hours)|
Vacation in the First Year of Employment
Vacation accrual begins in the first month of regular employment. If you commence employment after the commencement of the Vacation Year, your Vacation entitlement will be pro-rated, based on the number of months you worked during the Vacation Year.
Pro-Rated Vacation in the First Year of Employment
|Month of Hire||Vacation Time|
|January/February/March||15 working days (120 hours)|
|April/May/June||11 working days (88 hours)|
|July/August/September||7 working days (56 hours)|
|October/November/December||3 working days (24 hours)|
In addition to Vacation time, you will receive Vacation Pay. Vacation Pay is based on your current rate of pay at the time Vacation is taken.
|Years of Service||Vacation Pay|
|Less than 3 years||6% of wages|
|3 years||6.8% of wages|
|4 years||7.6% of wages|
|5 years||8.4% of wages|
|6 – 9 years||9.2% of wages|
Vacation During a Leave of Absence
Vacation time and Vacation Pay are two separate entitlements. You do not accrue Vacation time or Vacation Pay during a leave of absence, expect as provided by the applicable provincial employment or labour standards law.
VMware expects you to take your full Vacation entitlement during the Vacation Year in which it was earned. In Workday[VMware network access required] you will see your Vacation balances defined in three (3) parts:
- Canada Vacation (Statutory) – VMware provides statutory vacation time in accordance with the employment guidelines set by each Province.
- Canada Vacation Rollover (Statutory) – Under exceptional circumstances, unused statutory Vacation can be rolled over for up to ten (10) months of the following calendar year.
- Canada Vacation – VMware offers additional vacation above the statutory requirement based on your tenure with the Company. If these Vacation days are not taken during the Vacation Year, in which they are earned, they will be forfeited.
At the time of your termination, you shall receive a payment for all unused Vacation time accrued up to that point. If you resign, or are terminated, and you have taken more than your accrued Vacation time, you shall be required to repay VMware. VMware may deduct the amount of the over payment from your final pay.
Scheduling Vacation Time
- Discuss your Vacation needs in advance with your manager. Requests will be reviewed based on many factors including business needs and staffing requirements. If you wish to take an excess of two (2) consecutive weeks of Vacation time or if your time off exceeds your Vacation time accrual, you must obtain manager approval and approval your HR Business Partner.
- After manager approval, go into Workday [VMware network access required]to report your Vacation time.