At VMware’s discretion, you can be granted a Personal Leave up to a maximum of ninety (90) calendar days if no other leave is applicable.
Regular, full-time employees in good standing, who have been employed with VMware for at least one (1) year are eligible to apply for a Personal Leave. You need to provide at least thirty (30) calendar days advance notice, unless the need for Personal Leave is not foreseeable. Failure to comply with this notice requirement may result in the leave not being granted, or commencement of the leave being delayed.
Duration and Job Protection
Job protection is not guaranteed while you are on a Personal Leave. Upon expiration of the approved Personal Leave, when you are ready to return to work, there is no guarantee of reinstatement to your previous position. If your original position is still available, VMware will make a reasonable effort to reinstate you. If your original position is no longer available, VMware will consider you for any available opening for which you are qualified, but you do not have priority, and there is no guarantee of equivalent duties, pay, terms, etc. If you are not reinstated (for any reason, including but not limited to job elimination), and you are not selected for an alternative, vacant position, VMware will terminate your employment and you will not be entitled to severance pay.
- Personal Leaves are unpaid. You must, however, exhaust all accrued Vacation time prior to being granted and commencing a Personal Leave.
- Commissioned employees should refer to your current compensation plan for information on commissions during an approved Personal Leave.
- Bonus eligible employees should refer to the current corporate bonus plan for information regarding the effects of your bonus while on Personal Leave.
- Health insurance benefits (life, medical, dental, and EAP) will be covered for you and your covered dependents for a maximum of thirty (30) calendar days while you are on Personal Leave.
- Long-Term Disability deductions will be suspended during your Personal Leave. Deductions will be caught-up upon your return.
- RRSP and ESPP [VMware network access required] contributions will be suspended during this leave. Any ESPP [VMware network access required] deductions collected to date will remain in your account to purchase shares at the end of the ESPP [VMware network access required] period.
- Stock vesting will continue during the approved Personal Leave.
If you are on Personal Leave during the delivery of performance reviews, your review will be communicated to you upon your return to work.
Scheduling a Personal Leave
Inform your manager of your Leave as soon as reasonably possible. This will allow adequate time for the proper arrangements to be made prior to your leave period. Open an HR Source ticket [VMware network access required] to report your Leave and include your leave’s start and end date of leave.
There are different levels of approval required depending on the length of your Personal Leave request:
- Up to thirty (30) calendar days: 1st & 2nd level manager.
- Leave greater than 30 calendar days or consecutive with another leave, VP approval or above along with written justification from management.
Returning to Work
Once you return to work, open an HR Source ticket [VMware network access required] confirming your leave end date return to work date.
If you do not return to work at the end of your approved Personal Leave period or if you accept other employment during your personal leave, VMware will assume you have voluntarily resigned from your employment.
FEEDBACK: Was this information useful?
Last Updated: 13 Jan 2022, 6:56 AM