VMware encourages a healthy working environment. When you or your dependent aren’t feeling well, Personal or Carer’s Leave provides you with paid time off to rest and recuperate at home. You may use Personal or Carer’s Leave for:
- Personal illness or injury (Personal Leave); or
- Provide care or support for a member of your immediate family or household who requires care or support due to illness or injury, or an unexpected emergency (Carer’s Leave).
Regular, full-time employees may use up to ten (10) days of Personal or Carer’s Leave per year. Employees working on a part-time basis will accrue according to their ordinary hours of work.
- It is supported by a medical certificate
- It is reported to your manager when the illness occurs
- It covers working days only (i.e. not weekends or public holidays)
Personal or Carer’s is pro-rated for newly-hired full-time employees based on month of hire:
A medical certificate is required after you are absent for a period of two (2) days or more. VMware has a right to ask for a medical certificate if leave is taken on a Monday or Friday and following or preceding a Public Holiday  or work-related function.
After accumulated Personal or Carer’s Leave entitlements have been exhausted or when the continuous period of absence due to illness reaches three (3) months (whichever occurs first), the Salary Continuance Plan will come into effect.
Unused Personal or Carer’s Leave gets rolled over annually and there is no cap on accumulation. Personal or Carer’s Leave accrued is not paid out upon termination of employment.
Scheduling Personal or Carer’s Leave
- Discuss your Personal or carer’s Leave plans, with your manager. While business requirements must be taken into consideration, your manager will work with you to ensure that work load does not restrict you from taking Personal or carer’s Leave.
- Once agreed with your manager, enter your Personal or carer’s Leave in Workday [VMware network access required] under time off type Personal/Carers Leave (Days).
Days of Absence
|Consecutive Days of Absence||Type of Leave||Detail|
|1-2 Days||Personal or Carer’s leave||Contact your manager as soon as possible to inform you will be out of the office.|
|2+ Days||Personal or Carer’s leave||A Medical Certificate is required if the employee is absent for a period of 2 days or more|
If you have been asked to provide a medical certificate, upon your return to work, email the medical certificate to Payroll  and copy your manager.